Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Conjurations Newsletter, Vol II

Conjurations

8/15/07

Hello Again!

    Oh dear, someone must have leaned against the great thermostat in the sky, because it’s been in the 90’s here off and on this week. Not something I particularly enjoy. Nonetheless, the skies have been the most brilliant shade of blue and match perfectly the hydrangeas growing in the front yard.

Conjure Updates
    This has been a GREAT week for Conjure Oils! I got to meet   and drop off her order at EsoZone as well as hand out a few samples. I also sent out six orders – two to the UK and the rest to the states. There’s about a week lag time for orders now – I’m getting them out as fast as they’re coming in. My goal is an order a day – one out and one in and so far, it’s been met.
    Conjure Oils is also pleased to announce that Magical Omaha has expressed interest in carrying our products both on their website as well as in their store! I sent them a pack of 16 samples today to try out, so keep your fingers crossed for us, please? I’ve heard really good things about them!
    We will also be supplying the Salem Witches’ Ball in, obviously, Salem, MA on October 26th with 100 perfume samples that will be handed out to the first 100 witchie-poos through the door. I’m going to create a custom blend for them – my working title is “Old Salem Village.”  - what it was called back during the witch craze.
    I also created two new blends that should be up on the website within the week. I made a blend for Gaia and for Yemaya Okoto. Gaia is a handful of basmati rice, the sharp smell of tomato leaves and a freshly cut wildflower bouquet. Delicious!
    Yemaya Okoto is a “road” of Yemaya (one of her manifestations). I was inspired by her as she is the road of Yemaya I received when I made Ocha. I’d never heard of her before, so I did a little research and found out she’s more or less a witch pirate queen that represents the deadly and destructive aspects of the ocean; she drags sailors and ships lost at sea into the depths and her crown is the jaw of the shark. She is dressed in a pirate flag and decorated with seven scimitar swords! Needless to say, her perfume smells like an ancient weathered pirate ship – sandalwood, cedar and amber really create something dark and dangerous in this blend.
    More great news - Papa Legba, Maman Brigitte, Erzulie Freda, Erzulie Dantor, Papa Ogou, Baron Samedi as well as Papa Ghede and others will be making a fragrant debut! The Lwa – the spirits that are honored in Vodoun, will come to Conjure in September! My godmother, who is also an initiated Mambo in Vodoun, is going to help me design the blends. I can’t wait!
    Don’t forget - at the end of the month, we’ll be adding the Halloween LE’s and the Bestiary! Yay!

The Oily Bits
    Have you recently had a falling out with a lover and you want to make up? Are you at odds with some good friends? Then why not try out some Reconcile oil in the Hoodoo line? Its sweet violet fragrance lifts the spirits and the genuine Balm of Gilead bud in each bottle helps to mend a heart that is sad and aching. Anoint your heart, a white candle or add a few drops to a mister and spray the rooms where fights have broken out. It really is balm for the sore soul. I find that it’s great for depression as well. But I’m no MD – just a root doctor.


How-To-Do-The-Hoodoo

    Hoodoo may have its roots in African Americana, but it can be practiced by anyone anywhere! Here is an all purpose way to use oils spiritually. This technique comes out of the hoodoo tradition, but you can use any spiritual oil with it.
    Get a brown paper grocery bag and rip a 3” x 3” square. Don’t use scissors – you have to hand tear the edges. Get a pencil with no eraser and write out your petition. The way I like to do it is, I write down what I want to happen three times and then turn the paper 90 degrees and then write my own name over it three times. I then anoint the paper in a quincux (like the 5 side on a die) a drop on each corner and one in the center. If I’m drawing something to myself, I fold the paper toward myself. If I’m sending something away, I fold the petition paper away from myself. I then anoint a white candle with the same oil – from top to bottom to draw and vice versa to repel.
Melt the bottom of the candle and stick it to a saucer. Put the petition paper under the saucer, say a prayer and light the candle. One of my favorite prayers is the 23rd Psalm – the Psalms have been prayed with so often that the very words have immense power, regardless of your spirituality or religion:

"The Lord is my Shepherd; I shall not want.
He maketh me to lie down in green pastures:
He leadeth me beside the still waters.
He restoreth my soul:
He leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for His name' sake.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil: For thou art with me;
Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies;
Thou annointest my head with oil; My cup runneth over.

Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in the House of the Lord forever."

When the candle burns out, take the paper and the wax and, if it was a prayer to draw something toward you, bury it in your yard. If it was to take something away, throw it in a river, in the crossroads, burn it, etc.

Next week

Some essential oils and their properties.


Blessings,

Vajra

No comments: